It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 5:22 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:50 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
GIMP Version: 2.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level



I am trying to create something with paths by creating half of it, duplicating and flipping to create a symmetrical shape. Problem is, unlike in previous versions of Gimp, it doesn't treat the path as the size of the image but only the size of the part you have created. This means that flipping doesn't produce the symmetry I want without me being able to judge accurately precisely where to move the path to. It simply flips the path on its own middle rather than the image's middle.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:37 am  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Export the path to another image, flip the image, and then import the path back (IIRC you can just drag/drop the path to the targets canvas).

You can also use my path-mirror script that will copy the path across a vertical/horizontal. It will even splice path strokes when a stroke and its mirror image have a common point. Of course you have to specify an axis, but computing the middle of the image shouldn't be too hard.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:11 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
Well...using the new tools, you need to rotate the path before flipping it.

makes more sense in a video ;) https://youtu.be/H8Uq9uewUHs

2 minutes + a reminder about symmetrical painting.


Top
 Post subject: Re: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:16 am  (#4) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
I definitely would not not say I know it all about paths. But why not do your original path on a transparent background, duplicate that layer then flip the duplicated layer?

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:31 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Thanks Ofnuts - now have the script

Thanks rich - I'll look at that later

Sallyanne - Thanks. That would help if I was to stroke the paths but I actually want to import the finished paths into Blender so I'm afraid it won't help. Thank you anyway.


Top
 Post subject: Re: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:54 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Rich - can't watch the video without having to give up my privacy unfortunately. I'm not willing to give Google time of day to be honest and startpage doesn't find it so I'm going to look for a text tutorial.


Top
 Post subject: Re: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:02 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com


Top
 Post subject: Re: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:08 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Thank you Rich. I'll watch that but....

There is an easier way because I had a center guide set up. You can click on the guide instead of the path and this mirrors the path over the guide.


Top
 Post subject: Re: 2.10 paths problem
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:12 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
Erisian wrote:
Thank you Rich. I'll watch that but....

There is an easier way because I had a center guide set up. You can click on the guide instead of the path and this mirrors the path over the guide.


Well.. so it does, always something new to learn


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group