It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:15 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am  (#61) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
@oldmangrumpy:
This is good news. Problem is, I can't get it to work. I've tried every "plugin" & "script" location I have. I've got GIMP 2.10.2
What version of GIMP do you have, and what location do you have yours?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:23 pm  (#62) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
Peter wrote:
Here's my personally styled ring that I've made for years with a brushed gold look and Elvin font.
This one's made in PdN. It is sooo much easier to do circular lettering in PdN.
The final image was completed in GIMP and posted in GIMP-ART.
Hope you like it.
[ Image ]


Peter, I love your styled ring with the brushed gold look and the Elvin font on it.
And how do you make that beautiful striped patterns inside your rings, for instance in your avatar.

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:27 pm  (#63) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
Pat625 wrote:
Would you share with us what you did to make it work? Others may be having the same problem?

The bottom line is,
this AltDrag download is what enabled me to use the BRL dialog box.
You can get it here.... https://stefansundin.github.io/altdrag/
There's still no solution to getting the "scroll bar" function to work in GIMP 2.10.2
I think Wallace is looking into it for me.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 pm  (#64) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
Ella Louise wrote:
Peter wrote:
Here's my personally styled ring that I've made for years with a brushed gold look and Elvin font.
This one's made in PdN. It is sooo much easier to do circular lettering in PdN.
The final image was completed in GIMP and posted in GIMP-ART.
Hope you like it.
[ Image ]


Peter, I love your styled ring with the brushed gold look and the Elvin font on it.
And how do you make that beautiful striped patterns inside your rings, for instance in your avatar.

Thanks for commenting Ella Louise.
The stripes you're referring to were made with a fractal program called "Apophysis."
Here's a sample of my gallery.
https://www.deviantart.com/peterpawn/ga ... ctal-Manip
I haven't made those types of images in years because I've made them for years and I got burned out on them.
When I discovered GIMP about 6 years ago I've been doing other things.
You might click on the link in my signature if you haven't done so already.
Again, thanks for your interest.
I'm honored.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:47 pm  (#65) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
Yes Peter, I already had a look at your gallery :) That's where I saw all these beautiful patterns.
The program "Apophisis" I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

Such a pity the "scroll bar" plugin doesn't work on your Gimp version.
I too had to install it in my Gimp 2.8
I recently downloaded the portable version of Gimp 2.10, didn't try the BRL on it, so I don't know if I can reach the OK button there. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:48 pm  (#66) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 10, 2013
Posts: 1442
Location: Finland
Cool olympic rings omg, are they 3 nine fine?
What I don't like, is the aliasing that BRL creates when ever using contour depth, even if it's just 1.
I'm trying to create a simple flat bevel with a flat top, something like gold bar would look from above.
It's real easy to make with other bevel plugins, but would be real bling with BRL because of the spherical maps.

@Peter, text along path does work.
Switch to paths tab, right-click the path you want to use, tools/text along path.
New version has 2 entries, text along path and text [multi] along path.

With python plugins I always right-click them and check the properties.
Sometimes they need to be unlocked.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:14 pm  (#67) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
@nidhogg:
Thanks. It works like you said.
The instruction at the website was
totally different. Thanks for the great tip.

@Ella Louise:
If you investigate the "Apophysis" program,
you need a script called "Rototubes" which
is an asc file type.

_________________
Image


Last edited by Peter on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:19 pm  (#68) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2014
Posts: 5061
Location: Sydney Australia
Peter - well it looks like your issue with the Ofnuts paths tool that I recommended has been solved while I was asleep.

Also, Like Wallace, I have not yet gone to the GIMP 2.10 version given all the problems with it that I have seen noted in this forum and elsewhere.

_________________
Image

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:23 pm  (#69) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
@oldmangrumpy:
I reluctantly went to 2.10.2. Didn't like it at first but now I'm getting used
to it. The thing that really bothers me is it took me quite a while to get it all
set up like I want it and now they've come out with version 2.10.4.
I am not in a hurry to go through all that again.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:37 am  (#70) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
Quote:
@Ella Louise:
If you investigate the "Apophysis" program,
you need a script called "Rototubes" which
is an asc file type.[/align]


Thanks for the info, Peter. At the moment I won't investigate the "Apophysis" program.
Still learning to go true the Gimp 2.10 version and most working on Gimp 2.8
Then I also have Blender and Inkscape to practice. It's enough study material I think :)

I just was very interested in your beautiful patterns and shiny buttons.

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:56 am  (#71) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2016
Posts: 580
Location: Sheffield UK
After using BRL I often run it through G'MIC - repair - Smooth(anisotropic)

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:17 am  (#72) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
RJKD wrote:
After using BRL I often run it through G'MIC - repair - Smooth(anisotropic)


That's a good tip, Richard. I also struggle with the jacked edges on the BRL outcome.

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:20 am  (#73) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
Ella Louise wrote:
Quote:
@Ella Louise:
If you investigate the "Apophysis" program,
you need a script called "Rototubes" which
is an asc file type.[/align]


Thanks for the info, Peter. At the moment I won't investigate the "Apophysis" program.
Still learning to go true the Gimp 2.10 version and most working on Gimp 2.8
Then I also have Blender and Inkscape to practice. It's enough study material I think :)

I just was very interested in your beautiful patterns and shiny buttons.

After our discussion yesterday, I discovered that the "rototubes" script isn't
working on any of today's Apophysis programs. Don't know why.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:46 pm  (#74) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
Peter wrote:
After our discussion yesterday, I discovered that the "rototubes" script isn't
working on any of today's Apophysis programs. Don't know why.


That's strange... Don't know if that's a problem for you. I didn't had the intention to work with the program right now.


Was so fascinated by your gold ring and had to try out my own version. The fractals I downloaded from the internet.
Here it is :)


Attachments:
gold.ring.fractals.png
gold.ring.fractals.png [ 398.41 KiB | Viewed 5743 times ]

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube
Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:32 pm  (#75) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2014
Posts: 5061
Location: Sydney Australia
Ella - very nice fractal/glass ring; I will have to search out some I did a few years back using JWildfire fractals.

Also for edge smoothing with BRL outcomes, if you set the contour depth >1 and edge smoothing amount parameter to its maximum setting (4), in the outcome it will overlap the original selection boundaries with a thickish edge all round; then after completion you can do a 'selection invert' and 'delete' to to get rid of the them and deliver an edge that is not jagged. That was how I first did it with those see through glass images a couple of years back.

_________________
Image

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned


Last edited by oldmangrumpy on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 pm  (#76) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
Ella:
That is an absolutely beautiful Image... I love it.
:yes :gimp :coolthup

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 am  (#77) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
oldmangrumpy wrote:
Ella - very nice fractal/glass ring; I will have to search out some I did a few years back using JWildfire fractals.

Also for edge smoothing with BRL outcomes, if you set the contour depth >1 and edge smoothing amount parameter to its maximum setting (4), in the outcome it will overlap the original selection boundaries with a thickish edge all round; then after completion you can do a 'selection invert' and 'delete' to to get rid of the them and deliver an edge that is not jagged. That was how I first did it with those see through glass images a couple of years back.


Thank you for the mini tut, oldmangrumpy. I'll try it out later.
You know I always admired your glass art.

I blurred my ring after the BRL but then it wasn't a clear ring anymore.
I tried several techniques to sharpen it a bit, unsharp mask, lighting effects, different layer modes...
Did so many things I don't remember it all :oops: :)
Luckily I saved the xcf-file so I can use it again :)



Peter wrote:
Ella:
That is an absolutely beautiful Image... I love it.
:yes :gimp :coolthup


Thank you for your comment, Peter.
My first outcome was like looking through a window.
Now I used a lens distortion to make it more like some sort of button.


Attachments:
gold.ring.fractals.bend.look.png
gold.ring.fractals.bend.look.png [ 362.07 KiB | Viewed 5718 times ]

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Last edited by Ella on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 am  (#78) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
@Ella:
This is looking really good. I'm totally impressed. :paint

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 am  (#79) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
@Peter: Thank you and sorry if I make mistakes in English, it's not my native language.
Just corrected a linguistic error on my previous post...

(Very often I have problems to log in, log out or to post on GC. is there someone else with the same problem?)

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:09 pm  (#80) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
@Ella:
No problem. I understood your previous post.
No need to apologize. All is well.

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group