It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:30 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:55 am  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 15, 2020
Posts: 116
Location: Quantumverse
It was a Windows issue. I had no problems with the various Linux distros I use.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 am  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 06, 2015
Posts: 308
I run Gimp AppImage
OS is Linux inside my ChromeBook
It is working fine.

I download the AppImage From this link

Doron.


Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-04-02 12.54.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-04-02 12.54.43 PM.png [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 7747 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:21 am  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 15, 2017
Posts: 1837
The ubuntuhandbook gimp1 ppa doesn't come with python, so can't run python scripts. i tried installing gimp-python in terminal, but it reports that it can't find that package. Does anyone have an Idea how to fix that?


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:52 am  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 10, 2013
Posts: 1442
Location: Finland
Yes, could have mentioned that I don't have python on that Mint Machine (old Mac Mini) It's only for G'micking and scripts.
I guess AppImage is the only solution until Gimp begins to use python 3, because Python 2 is dead.
MX Linux test repos are still 2.10.22 but I didn't have to wait long for .20 or .22 after they were released.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:04 am  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2617
Attachment:
proof.jpg
proof.jpg [ 121.32 KiB | Viewed 7689 times ]


see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal- ... 4#pid18354

Trying to remember the gory details ;)

Needed this package as well python-is

Attachment:
python-is.jpg
python-is.jpg [ 25 KiB | Viewed 7687 times ]


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:21 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 15, 2017
Posts: 1837
Thanks rich 2005, it's working correctly now. Is it OK to have both versions of python installed in the system? Was wondering if it would cause system conflicts to have both 2.7 and 3.0 installed.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:09 pm  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2617
I would just leave as-is. That python-is-python2 pachage makes that the default, so I think (could be wrong) if you have any python3 programs you would need to change the shebang in the script to #!/usr/bin/env python3


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:34 am  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
OK; I succumbed. Saw that David updated G'MIC so there's no more errors with this new build and first installed that update and tested it in 10.22 before upgrading to 10.24. All appears to be working fine so if you are a Windows user (like I am), and a bit of a risk taker, then go ahead. I did give it about a week. lol

:)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 am  (#29) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Still no Samj's package available.
I suppose that Windows installation has still some problems, and Sylvie wants generally to release a reliable package.
Hope I can get it soon.

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:21 am  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 15, 2020
Posts: 116
Location: Quantumverse
lylejk wrote:
bit of a risk taker

Fortune favors the brave.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:38 am  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
From Samj's site:

Jeudi 8 avril 2021

Des problèmes sérieux existent avec la version Gimp 2.10.24 pour Windows :

Bogues dans Gimp.
Problèmes de Glib.
Des solutions ‘intermédiaires’ sont appliquées pour les installateurs de gimp.org (3 à ce jour).

Quand ces problèmes seront résolus une version portable sera envisageable : une version 2.10.25 ou 2.10.26.

Merci :o)

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:06 am  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 06, 2020
Posts: 401
Location: The Netherlands
Uninstall Gimp and uninstall G'mic Install the latest version of Gimp (2.10.24) then install G'mic 2.9.7
pay attention! Last dev (see picture)


Attachments:
2021-04-08_135758.png
2021-04-08_135758.png [ 278.72 KiB | Viewed 5398 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:52 am  (#33) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
00111111 wrote:
lylejk wrote:
bit of a risk taker

Fortune favors the brave.


Just wait until 3.0.0 finally gets released. Over a decade for the big wait. lololololol

I believe with 3.0.0, GTK will completely be removed from GIMP. It's definitely going to be a new experience. Not sure if any old GIMP plugins/script-fus will work either. Now they may not eliminate GTK, but heard that was the intent (replaced by GEGL of course). I do remember 2.0.0 being quite disruptive from the last version of 1.x. Then, it was either 2.4x or 2.6x that completely revamped how script-fus worked. Lots of history. Me thinks I'll be keeping 2.10x around as I install 3.0; hopefully that will be an option (some past upgrades didn't allow co-existance and you had to coerce your system to keep the two). :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:17 am  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 15, 2020
Posts: 116
Location: Quantumverse
lylejk wrote:
I believe with 3.0.0, GTK will completely be removed from GIMP.
:puzzled

Porting to GTK3 is "work in progress" for G3.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:11 pm  (#35) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 15, 2017
Posts: 1837
Just noticed that ResynthesizerPlugin doesn't work with Gimp 2.10.24 PPA, but it does work with Gimp 2.10.25 AppImage. Not sure why that is, but it's interesting just the same. I guess the appimage supports more dependencies, IDK.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 am  (#36) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2617
Gimp 2.10.24 from PPA: Resynthesizer (or is it the python plugins) not working. You still have gimp-python installed ?

You should run Gimp from a terminal with --verbose switch and look for error messages.

Resynthesizer + heal-selection / heal-transparency from here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp- ... 1#pid11261 Unzip, put in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ Works for me in Mint 20 / Gimp 2.10.24

Edit: That is looking a bit old: Just added the 2.03 version. No difference in functionality, just the resynth gui layout. Checked it with Mint20 and works ok.

Attachment:
resynth.jpg
resynth.jpg [ 103.59 KiB | Viewed 5275 times ]


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:53 pm  (#37) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 15, 2017
Posts: 1837
I do have python installed and it's working perfectly fine. I tried your new version 2.03, but it doesn't work either. The same files in Appimage work perfectly. Definitely a dependency issue of some kind on the PPA version of Gimp 2.10.24 as installed.

I ran gimp --verbose in terminal, this is all I found:

pluginrc lists '/home/racer/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/resynthesizer_gui203', but it wasn't found
pluginrc lists '/home/racer/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/resynthesizer', but it wasn't found

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running in Appimage --verbose:

Querying plug-in: '/tmp/tmp.UafJJ0UiSL/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/resynthesizer_gui203'
is_external_process: bundled process found: /home/racer/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/ResynthesizerPlugin/plug-ins/resynthesizer_gui203
Querying plug-in: '/tmp/tmp.UafJJ0UiSL/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/resynthesizer203'
is_external_process: bundled process found: /home/racer/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/ResynthesizerPlugin/plug-ins/resynthesizer203
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Edit: I fixed the issue by moving the plugin files out of the sub-folder and directly into Plug-ins folder. Apparently the PPA doesn't like sub-folders in the Plug-ins folder. Now it works as expected.

Thanks rich2005.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:55 am  (#38) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2617
It works like this: The folder has the same name as the plugin. Not mandatory yet but will be in future versions of Gimp. That makes perfect sense for some thing like the Windows version of gimp_gmic_qt one executable, dozens of dll's

For resynthesizer - separate folders for each of
resynthesizer - containing one file resynthesizer
resynthesizer-gui - containing one file resynthesizer-gui
plugin-heal-selection containing one file plugin-heal-selection.py

...get the idea...there lies madness. Look in /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ for an example of one file per folder madness.

You can save a lot of dicking about with a common folder, containing sub-folders for brushes / fonts / plugins / etc. Add each to your various Gimp installations via preferences -> folders.

In my kubuntu 18.04 One set of folders in home, shared with a Gimp 2.10.14 (old PPA), Gimp 2.10.22 (appimage), Gimp 2.10.25 (which shares the appimage profile hence the added resource folders.)

All sorts of thing you can do.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:56 am  (#39) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 04, 2015
Posts: 1478
Installers can reach those user folders with:
$HOME/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/
$HOME/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/
I don't know why there are 2 of them :)

Quote:
...get the idea...there lies madness.

Possibly because you can't have a file and a folder with the same name in unix/linux.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:52 am  (#40) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 15, 2017
Posts: 1837
I may try that Shared Folder idea, at least it will cut my user files in half.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group