It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:01 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Gap not showing up [Solved]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:36 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
See subject line



Gimp is on my storage drive F instead of C so I opened the packager but it did not "find my 2.0" folder as the post on tutorials notes. I can find no "plugin" folder in gimp 2.0. In the screenshot below you can see that the install to line is blank so I installed to f/gimp-2.6/plugins and it seems to have deposited all the folders but GAP does not show up when I open gimp. I did the same for perl, freetype and lqr. None of them show up when I open gimp. How can I correct this and get everything to work.


Attachments:
Install location.jpg
Install location.jpg [ 105.99 KiB | Viewed 4067 times ]
2.6.jpg
2.6.jpg [ 141.88 KiB | Viewed 4067 times ]
gap 2.6.jpg
gap 2.6.jpg [ 189.31 KiB | Viewed 4067 times ]

_________________
Image
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 05, 2011
Posts: 606
Location: limestone,ny
on my computer (win 7 ) gap isn't in the gimp folder it's in its own

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:35 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
From what i may see there are 2 big problem each sufficent to screw up the install
1) that on screenshoot 3 .is not GAP for windows but the source code.
As far i know GAP for win is downloadable only from my pages on DA (photocomix_resources user on Deviantart.com)and from JamesH blog (that is in Chinese so few get there )
2) the plugin folder
You don't need to know where is the plugin folder
Just create a new folder where you like (well in F but for the rest where you like) put the all the exe of gap there.
RIGHT click on 1 of the exe, go to propriety, COPY the path
LOAD gimp go to Edit/Preferences/folder/ plugin, click there new folder icon PASTE the path..and don't forget to click ok

GAP contain also 2 scripts (.scm) do the same (place in a new folder paste add the path in preference this time will be .../folder/script )for the script

What i described is the BEST way to install everything in gimp from patterns to brush,i will do the same for GMIC and Liquid resize (each in its own folder )
the other plugin (that included in a single exe file) may be dumped all togheter in the same folder..A dedicated folder is better for "complex" plugin,(that have each several different files )

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Weird looking better the installer you show IS for windows!
BUT the thing you installed look as the source code (and no the GAP installer can no install the source code )

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
alc59, I have GAP in both my Gimp 2.6 and 2.7. I cannot find a file anywhere that says GAP. I use it all the time and it works well, but I don't know where it is.
I looked under bin, etc., lib, setup and share and it isn't in any of them. Could you please put in the path that took you to that Gap folder? thanx.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:53 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Molly
It is by its own because he wanted in that way (and is a good idea) and so ADDED a path
If you follow my instrution you may get the same

DRACONIAN
a simple trick to extract the files from the installer (no strictly needed you may just point the installer on the new folder, but then you will have to move the 2 script away)
create the folder ...point the installer there,
move the files where needed

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:09 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
Photocomix,

I'm old and slow and having some difficulty understanding all your instructions so please bear with me. First, I did download the windows version from deviant art. In the first screenshot you will see when I right click on the setup file it shows the description of the file.

If I understood you correctly, I install directly to my F drive outside of gimp entirely which shows up under my gimp 2.0 folder in the second screenshot.

The third screenshot is what the setup/install program deposited in that folder. Assuming I have done this correctly so far the next few steps are where i'm a little confused.


Attachments:
Drive F Contents.jpg
Drive F Contents.jpg [ 230.31 KiB | Viewed 3997 times ]
Drive F Contents.jpg
Drive F Contents.jpg [ 230.31 KiB | Viewed 3997 times ]
gap 2.6.jpg
gap 2.6.jpg [ 189.31 KiB | Viewed 3997 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:11 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
You said to click on 1 of the .exe files next and I don't see anything that has an executable extension. What does it look like?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 05, 2011
Posts: 606
Location: limestone,ny
its been awhile since i installed gap, i downloaded the window installer and ran the exe and let it put it where it wanted
it ended up in c: program files (x86)

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
strange, I guess as long as I know I have it I won't worry. lol

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:44 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
you should have tried before to install gap:
What you show in the last image is the GAP code not what the installer should install.
So no surprise there are no exe there , exe are a Windows thingy , but that is not something for Windows .(not even for Mac or Linux, it is the uncompiled source code )

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:48 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
OK. I guess it's back to square one. I'll go to the deviant art site again and try to download the right one.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 05, 2011
Posts: 606
Location: limestone,ny
okay i did some more looking around and found gap under lib-gimp-2.0-plugins

Image

i recently installed 2.7.3 and had to copy the gap files from the folder shown in the picture and pasted them in the same place under gimp 2.7.3 folder (which is under programs files not (x86)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:11 am  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
alc59 - Since I'm running Windows XP SP3 and not windows 7, how does this help? Are you saying I need to move some files around? If so, where?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:48 am  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 05, 2011
Posts: 606
Location: limestone,ny
on my xp sp3.. i downloaded gap from this link and let it put it where it wanted (i guess you would change c: to f:) and when i restarted gimp the gap video menu was there

gap 2.6

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:14 am  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
This is really becoming annoying. I still can't get it to show up in the menu bar.

One other thing...do I need to delete the install program like I had to do with GMIC to get it to work?

Here's how everything as it is installed now.


Attachments:
locale.jpg
locale.jpg [ 77.9 KiB | Viewed 1859 times ]
scripts.jpg
scripts.jpg [ 60.07 KiB | Viewed 1859 times ]
plug-ins.jpg
plug-ins.jpg [ 124.03 KiB | Viewed 1859 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:22 am  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
That second shot is a script folder and those two files in there don't look like scripts. They should have a scm extension.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:30 am  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
Hey Mol - yeah I noticed that too. If you look at Photocomix earlier post on page one, he mentions two scripts. Maybe these are different somehow to work within GAP. Python scripts have a .py extention so why not? I'll worry about moving scripts later after I get this darn thing to show up. (if that ever happens)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:08 am  (#19) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
ALL my gap is in C:\Program Files (x86)/GIMP-2.6.11/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins.
I have one gap file in scripts and it is gap-dup-continue.scm

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gap not showing up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 am  (#20) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 05, 2011
Posts: 606
Location: limestone,ny
same here Molly

Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group