It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 6:38 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:18 am  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: May 29, 2012
Posts: 2
I say I'm a newbie to Gimp although I've had it for years. I think it's better to say I'm new to trying to create art with gimp, since I've only used it for basic things. I'm an author and have really gotten tired of the book covers offered out there and decided to learn how to make my own. I have photoshop elements and Blender both of which are so out of area of understanding that I decided to make Gimp my main focus.

link removed


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:24 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Hi. Welcome to GC. :welcome Book cover design is something that I've considered before now. Blender is incredibly complex to learn because it has absolutely everything in it to take you from your basic primitve right through boning, colouring and texturing your model to animating it and even has a game engine. Gimp is child's play by comparison. Don't ever think any question is too basic - if you want to know something, just ask.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:45 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 25, 2011
Posts: 914
Location: Mount Olive, North Carolina
Welcome to GC! It looks like you and I may have a little bit in common - having started with GIMP for the same reason. (Although, I'm purely a hobbyist writer and artist).

GIMP is certainly a powerful tool for creating original artwork. If you haven't seen our GIMP Art forum, it may be worth looking through. There's a large variety of work in there, and should give you a good idea of what sorts of things GIMP is capable of when it comes to creating artwork from scratch.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:26 pm  (#4) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Welcome to Gimp Chat. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:42 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
Welcome to GC, ANTOC. Lots of friendly folks here and like Erisian said, don't be a fraid to jump in or ask anything. Happy Gimping!

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:36 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Welcome aboard Antoc, enjoy

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:40 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 07, 2011
Posts: 102
GIMP is a very powerful tool. If you need assistance with your project, I'm sure many of the fine folks on this forum could give you some pointers. :D


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:18 am  (#8) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 02, 2012
Posts: 1
Hi all
I moved from the "dark side" (CS, by the way...) I don't like to seek behind the curtains to obtain the magic numbers.
I'm 63 years old* and I like to improve everyday
*still working
I live in Madrid and my mother tongue isn't the english (but I can understand)
And, of course, I'm Yacht Ocean Master
Cheers and kisses for hers


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:53 am  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
:welcome to Gimp Chat obk-captain

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 am  (#10) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Welcome to Gimp Chat obk-captain.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:44 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Image
Welcome

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:34 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Hi obk-captain. Welcome to GC.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:28 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 07, 2011
Posts: 180
I am a beginner (and did not create this animation below) but there are many advanced Gimp Users here to help you.

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Newbie to Gimp
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:08 am  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
Welcome aboard obk-captain! I'm 63 myself and lovin' it. Glad to have you with us.

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group