It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:31 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:54 am  (#1) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8475
Location: On the other side of your screen
All mine have disappeared and I haven't done anything!?
Can't go to file and create anything because there is no path to logos and cannot go to filters to logos - no path same with script-fu.
I never had the 'logo toolbox' either. (Nothing by that name)
Think I know what the problem is :gaah

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Last edited by sallyanne on Tue May 14, 2013 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Logo Toolbox V1.0
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:59 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Sallyanne,

Download the the script again and copy it to your scripts folder. Then restart GIMP.

That should correct the error Graechan mentioned.

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Logo Toolbox V1.0
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:12 am  (#3) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8475
Location: On the other side of your screen
I hadn't even downloaded the script yet. Everything i had in my Gimp is gone - all scripts and plugins. I think it has something to do with a AV I downloaded this afternoon. It is reading them all as Malaware.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:48 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
I split this to a new thread because it is not related to Logo Toolbox and you'll get more assistance in a stand alone thread.

Sounds like you might need to uninstall that AV software Sallyanne.

Which AV are you using?

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
SallyAnne, if I were you I would dump AVG. It is known to give out a lot of false positives.
Try switching to Avast. I found that one the best of any I have used over the years. I still run it in my Windows drive.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:07 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
SallyAnne, look whether you have a "Quarantine" folder in your AV, normally each AV does not drop down pieces of sw without the user accepting that, by default it puts "dangerous" pieces under a folder called Quarantine..
Hope you will find everything in there....

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:11 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 09, 2012
Posts: 143
Just did a scan with Comodo, no threats.
But if it did find it as a threat, it should end up in quarantines along with a notifification of what i would like to do in the first place.
Try have a look for where your quarantine is.
As for Gimp in general, only my defence+ would react and need my manual attention since it say some things could'nt be recognized.
Never had an AV-alert Gimp related actually, hmm. :)
But when i install something i trust or some software that is sensitive of AV presence, i'll just turn it of temporarily in advance.
Just find an AV later that makes sence to you and you are comfortable with so you can set it up as easy as possible to your liking as you get the hang of it.
Btw, don't uninstall anything untill you find your files is my spontanious first thought though.

Ps. *doh! :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:16 am  (#8) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8475
Location: On the other side of your screen
@dinasett only three things were in quarantine and I restored them. Didn't seem to make any difference though.

@ molly I d/l a different one. Had avast for a couple years now. I should have left it but it was telling me that I had to subscribe and it wouldn't update.
Had AVG for a few years awhile back and it never hurt. Only thing was it didn't work oon the computer i had at the time when I d/l it last.

I have tried to uninstall this AV but it will not completely. Tried a system restore but it will not properly. :(

I won't name it because i did ask what people are using and this was one of them.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:21 am  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
don't know whether this can help


Attachments:
Uninstallers-for-antivirus.7z [1.83 KiB]
Downloaded 76 times

_________________
"Where am I ?"
Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:55 am  (#10) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8475
Location: On the other side of your screen
Image

I was eventually able to uninstall said AV and restore my system to an earlier period. :)

Thankyou guys for all your help.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:10 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 09, 2012
Posts: 143
Love happy endings. :)
I don't have to much scripts or plugs yet myself but man.. if i did and this happened i'm not sure i would be as calm as you seem to have been.
Good job. :)
Backup, backup, backup. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:18 am  (#12) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8475
Location: On the other side of your screen
Something I learnt recently kept me reasonably with it (System restore). I have never had a need for it before. Now I have used it twice in a month.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 09, 2012
Posts: 143
Tip for anyone If you have the free space.

Lets say you are doing it with backup and restore/create a system image.
It will end up with this WindowsImageBackup on your chosen HD right.
One tip one can do is that you can make this backup after a fresh install, then rename the WindowsImageBackup folder to 1WindowsImageBackup.
Then install more stuff, and do this again and renaming that to 2WindowsImageBackup etc.

And this way is even without creating system repear disc wich is the question you get everytime you do this, at the end.
Personally never needed more than this because its usually just some driver or software issue or what ever.
So instead of spending time on locating whatever problem even if one can succeed, i could do this restore several times in a row in stead and still win time, in a nuttshell, kinda. ;)

Ps. When you are going to restore, you need to fix one of the chosen names back to normal again without the number.
And, i don't think this works if say, you do a clean reinstall, and then right away try to be clever and uppdate your stuff with this metod.
I think not, i think. :)
I just never had a total meltdown before, so therfore i keep doing this way, so, there you go.
Just little info if someone might feel is right for them, options is good. ;)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:24 pm  (#14) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14224
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
sallyanne wrote:
I was eventually able to uninstall said AV and restore my system to an earlier period. :)

Thankyou guys for all your help.


:jumpclap Hooray! :jumpclap

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:02 am  (#15) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
The thought of losing all my Gimp stuff terrifies me. I'm sooo glad you could restore it, sallyanne. What a heartstopping ordeal.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Everything i had in my Gimp is gone
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:22 am  (#16) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8475
Location: On the other side of your screen
Thanks guys. If the restore didn't work i think I woulda had a good cry.

Thank goodness it didn't come down to that. :jumpclap

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group