It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:41 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:39 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 06, 2014
Posts: 9
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Basic Level



I am trying to change the image to a different color but what happens is it gets a bit pixelated because of the outer pixels as shown in the attachment.

I am not sure how to make it look smooth.

I am sure it could be a simple job for more advanced users.


Attachments:
test.jpg
test.jpg [ 118.26 KiB | Viewed 4167 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:51 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Can you post your xcf so we can look at what you did so far? That way we can see the layer or layers.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:59 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 06, 2014
Posts: 9
That is the original .png

There is no .xcf as I am trying to edit the image and change the color. I've realised after removing the lines and using the fuzzy select tool to select the heart, If I then apply the color I want with a low opacity it looks OK (not perfect but might do)


Attachments:
heart 256.png
heart 256.png [ 12.87 KiB | Viewed 4159 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:02 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Are you not editing the image with Gimp?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:05 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
lock the alpha channel before painting/filling to preserve the semi transparent pixels.
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:18 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I tried one here. Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:24 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
Have you tried using color>map>gradient_map


Attachments:
LIKEthis.png
LIKEthis.png [ 13.15 KiB | Viewed 4136 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:30 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 06, 2014
Posts: 9
SysTemX wrote:
Have you tried using color>map>gradient_map


That works quite well, Never knew about it!

Getting some good results with that!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:36 am  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
What about using Colors/Colorize or Colors/Colorify?

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
That is what I used for mine.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:39 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 06, 2014
Posts: 9
The attached file I tried doing the map gradient on this and it comes out pixelated a bit. Is there another option? I tried to make it black with a transparent background.


Attachments:
cup.jpg
cup.jpg [ 22.96 KiB | Viewed 1820 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:55 am  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
Like this?
Something happened in the upload, its spotty. :roll:


Attachments:
cup-Black.png
cup-Black.png [ 7.21 KiB | Viewed 1816 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I tried it by selecting by color then painting in black then went color to alpha and got rid of the white bg.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:58 am  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
Thats what I did too, it uploaded with freckles.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:59 am  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 06, 2014
Posts: 9
molly wrote:
I tried it by selecting by color then painting in black then went color to alpha and got rid of the white bg.
[ Image ]


I previously got SystemX's result but that one seems a lot closer!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:01 am  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 06, 2014
Posts: 9
SysTemX wrote:
Thats what I did too, it uploaded with freckles.


This was the original image might just be a poor image.


Attachments:
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg [ 27.07 KiB | Viewed 1813 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:05 am  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
SELECT the background color.
Invert with ctrl I
make the fore ground color (The sector in your toolbox) Black.
click on the black box and drag it to the NEW LAYER icon . Its at the bottom left of the layers dialog.
oh and when done, SHIFT+LEFTclick on the new layer.

_________________
Image


Last edited by SysTemX on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:06 am  (#18) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
I tried, selecting colour>to path>stroking path with same colour as selected area but it was not a smooth stroke....very uneven.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:11 am  (#19) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
To smooth the edges, try
select the background
SELECT>SHRINK by 3
CTRL+I
EDIT>STROKE-SELECTION
choose stroke with paint tool and select the smudge tool.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Changing image to different color
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:13 am  (#20) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 06, 2014
Posts: 9
SysTemX wrote:
To smooth the edges, try
select the background
SELECT>SHRINK by 3
CTRL+I
EDIT>STROKE-SELECTION
choose stroke with paint tool and select the smudge tool.



Would you advise doing that on Molly's result? OR doing it before anything else?


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


cron

* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group